Saturday, May 9, 2015

Just in time...COLOR!

Jeffersonian Twin Leaf. This is the first year that it has bloomed. I was surprised on how big the flower was. It only lasted a day, but it was sp pretty. Look at the leaves. Twins.
Prairie smoke. I love this little plant! We need to devide this one as the middle is dying out.
This one is fun! Acracona Norway Spruce. I love the pink cones! They don't stay pink for long though. But they actually glow in the sunlight. A real eye catcher from the house.
Merrybells. A native plant. The bees love it. Another early plant.
Old fashioned bleedingheart.
Gold leaf bleedingheart. I love the contrast between the gold leaves and pink flowers. Thisa plant is now about 3 feet tall x3 feet wide.
Our white flowering bleedingheart is always a week or so behind the pink flowering ones.
Couchion spurge. Another glow in the sunlight plant. We thought we had lost it, but apparently some seed laid dormant and a couple more came up. Not where we wanted them. But that didn't take much to move them.
Creeping Jacobs Ladder. The flowers are actually a deeper blue.
And of course, what is a spring garden without daffodils?
Now this guy really surprised me! Hummingbird moth. I don't think that I have ever seen one here so early. Usually they are zipping around, so I am so glad that he decided to pose for me!
It was so nice to go to a greenhouse today. We picked up some of the annual plants which we will plant in pots.
Coleous, We bought big and small. The smaller ones are so cute!  It was so hard to decide on the plants we wanted as they come in such beautiful colors. Dahlias, the colors just amaze me! A popcorn plant. It is suppose to smell like popcorn. Just interesting. Last but not least. A black sweet potatoe vine.
We also picked up about 13 Heirloom tomatoes and some bell pepper plants. And one parsley plant for the swallowtail butterflies.
All and all it was a colorful kind of day! Hugs, Teresa

8 comments:

  1. LOVING your garden. Quirky, colourful gems. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen one hummingbird moth around here and it was quite brown. Love your flowers.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sue and Meredith. We do love our flowers! The odder the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I am so happy you are trying out a new blog! Yippee!
    Your moon photos are AMAZING!

    I love your Acracona Norway Spruce. Where did you purchase it? I want one. :-))
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Carla. I have only seen the spruce at one place around here and that was years ago. Scenic View in Saumico. Can't remember how many years ago. Less then 6 I think. If you would like one you may have to call around. I love ours! Winter hasn't damaged it like some of the other evergreens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blooms and the hummingbird moth is amazing....probably not commonly known! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blooms and the hummingbird moth is amazing....probably not commonly known! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Deb. Isn't the humminbird moth great. I have only seen him around in the last couple of years. But then they move around so fast that it is hard to keep up with them! I was really surprised when this one actually landed.

    ReplyDelete